In a few words, could you describe The Cambridge Satchel Company's DNA and values? The courage to punch above our weight. The originality to evolve and grow. The passion to move forward quickly with ambition, determination and energy.
Where does the name come from? I live in Cambridge and started out by only selling satchels, although now there is so much more.
Who are the The Cambridge Satchel Company women? They are women from many different backgrounds and of a wide age range but share a strong sense of style.
Where does your inspiration come from? Through places I visit and often from plants and landscapes in nature.
How do you see the brand's evolution throughout the years? The brand started with one core bag but has since evolved into many shapes which share excellent British craftsmanship and great design and functionality. We have kept the signature so that every bag is clearly identifiable as a Cambridge Satchel whilst always moving forward. We have been keen to listen to our customers and introduce small leather goods which they asked for.
A few words about The Cambridge Satchel Company x Smets collab? Strong and stylish, a true reflection of both brands. Pure in its design.
10 QUESTIONS TO JULIE DEANE
- If you weren’t in your current city, where would you live? Skiathos, Greece
- A book that you would love to have never read so you could read it all over again? "Jude the Obscure", Thomas Hardy
- What’s your favorite fashion trend of all time? The first trend that I became aware of was when everyone started wearing aviator sunglasses with little crystal heart shapes in the corners. Everyone who was anyone had one.
- What’s the first thing you notice about someone when you first meet? If they have good manners and how kind they are to the people around them.
- An historical figure you would like to have coffee with? Alexander Fleming
- If you could change lives with someone for a day, who would it be? Richard Branson because he devotes a lot of his time now to things he feels truly passionate about and that have a global significance. I’d like to see how those meetings work and how these decisions get made and feel part of a group that was trying to make a positive impact in the world.
- An historic period you would have loved to live in? Ancient Greece
- If you got your portrait done by any artist, who would it be? Rankin
- What’s the best hashtag? #inspirational
- What word do you use too much? Lovely
JULIE DEANE’S TRAVEL TIPS AROUND THE WORLD
- Best Restaurant? River Cottage, England
- Best Brunch or Breakfast? The Diner, 9th Ave & W 14th Street, New York
- Best Bar? Stay Cool Café in Skiathos, Greece
- Best Party? Any party that you go to with the Virgin group
- Best Hotel? The Puli, Shanghai
- Best Museum? The Natural History Museum, London
- Best Monument? The Bull, Wall Street, New York
- Best Library? The British Library, London
- Best Art Gallery? Le Louvre, Paris